Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Nine Months

Happy Birthday, Jett! Yesterday you turned nine months old. But I thought that today was the 12th, not yesterday, which is why I'm posting this tonight and not last night, and which just goes to show how an extra day off will mess with your mama.



So even though I technically missed your nine month birthday, you celebrated in style by doing a couple of new things. First, on Sunday, you crawled twice - one time with each knee. At least that is what Uncle Nathan said, since he was the only one to see you do it - I knew you two were in cahoots.



Then yesterday you pulled yourself up to standing in your crib. You pulled yourself up the way inexperienced climbers climb walls - by reaching up with your hands and puuuullllling yourself up with your arms, legs stretched out straight, getting pulled along, not really bending and stepping yet. It was a herculean effort. You were like The Little Engine That Could. When you finally got up there, standing up straight, oh the look of accomplishment on your sweet face. And then you turned around to reach for your mobile, completely forgetting that you don't know how to stand up unassisted yet, let alone balance. Woops.

What has most excited me since yesterday though is that I think you understand a new word: drink. Every time I feed you in your highchair I give you a sippy cup full of water to drink and play with. Every time you drink from it I say "drink" and I make the sign language motion for it. It has occurred to me that anyone who can see me through our windows must think I'm crazy, because making that sign over and over is a little weird. But yesterday every time I said "drink" you looked right at your sippy cup. Are we communicating with words now? Very exciting!



Finally, you keep growing, little by little. Yesterday I tried to put three different hats on your head and they were all too small. The feet in your pajamas are too short, and you keep growing out of your socks. Today you had on your jean overalls, and they looked like shorts.



Despite these accomplishments of the last four weeks, I think this next month is going to be even more exciting. I predict crawling, a bit more hair, maybe some teeth, and oh, probably some reading, you smarty pants.



Keep it up, kiddo. We love you.

No comments: