Saturday, May 12, 2007

Eleven Months Old

Happy Birthday, Jett. Today you are eleven months old.



You've learned a lot in these last four weeks. You stand unassisted for a few moments at a time. You've started pulling the toilet paper off of the roll, and you have a fascination with the refrigerator. Most recently you've begun giving up the army crawl in favor of the more traditional variety of crawling on your hands and knees. You've also almost got the hang of getting down from the couch feet-first, and we've almost gotten you out of the habit of sucking on the wrong end of the spoon. We're so proud of you.

Yesterday I packed your diaper bag so you would have everything you needed in order to take a nap at Aunt Jenny's. You saw your favorite blanket (which is actually my pajama top) sticking out of the top of the bag, you grabbed it, and thus it has started: you and your blanket, your new bff. What I mean is, you've started crawling around the house while holding on to your blanket. You've stopped whimpering when I hand you the blanket. You want to hold the blanket when I change your diaper and when you get ready for bed. It's sweet. I just wish we had two of them, just in case.

You are entirely mobile and Daddy thinks you'll start walking in a week. I think it's going to be a little longer than that, but it's not far. You're so cute crawling around, getting where you want to go, but your mobility poses some challenges. We've had to baby-proof the cupboards and doors, and we have to swiffer the floors every day, since you want to eat anything that falls on it. It's harder to take you out now, because you always want to get down and investigate your surroundings, but unfortunately the world is not baby proofed.

You're really showing us your preferences too. For example, you refuse to lay down for me when I change your diaper, so I've had to learn how to change you when you're standing. Lately you've tried to remain sitting while I change you, but trust me, that is just not going to work.



You've missed your grammy these last few weeks. She's home taking care of her mom, so Daddy and I have been juggling your care between the two of us, and lots of help from Aunt Jenny. Grandpa Bob came down this week to watch you for three days too. Some babies wouldn't be able to handle the changing circumstances of every day, but you just go with the flow. We're so lucky. We miss grammy too, but we love getting to spend this extra time with you.

Speaking of spending extra time with you, I thought you might have started giving up nursing one of these days, but no. You've been known to try to start lifting my shirt up when you want to nurse, which is funny at home, but kind of awkward everywhere else. I'm trying to teach you a "sign" for nursing, so you'll stop with the shirt-pulling thing, but so far you haven't caught on.

But we are communicating more and more all the time. You know the sign for "eat" now, and when I say the words "eat" or "dinner" you sign it back to me. I don't know how you learned that "dinner" means eat - as far as I can remember, I've never signed it to you. I think you know what the words "bath" and "book" mean. And when we carry you down the stairs of our building, you get so excited. You perk right up and kick your legs and pump your arms up and down and make happy little Jett noises. I think you must love going outside.



As you know, Daddy has spent the last six weeks getting up with you in the middle of the night, and he must be doing something right, because you're developing better sleep habits. You rarely need a bottle at night anymore, and you're getting better at sleeping straight through too. Often you still wake up in the middle of the night and just need a little attention - Daddy might read you a book, or just hold you and rock. I'm as amazed as you that I don't even hear you cry at night anymore. Daddy is doing a great job. Don't worry, I hear you in the morning, when my shift starts. On that note I'd like to ask a favor. Could you sleep in just a little bit? 5:30 and 6:00 is way early, buddy.

Despite the fact that you wake up so, so early, I love our mornings together, snuggling on the couch, reading books, and looking out the window. I think we're going to have to start watching less of the morning news though. Yesterday morning you crawled on over to the tv and bounced up and down in front of it making your happy noises.

Oh, the things we're learning from you. You're the best teacher ever. Happy Birthday, Jett. We love you.



P.S. Thanks for the fab photos, Miss Falbo!

No comments: