Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ten Months Old

Easter week was fabulous.

Easter morning


Great Grandma


"Hey, cool shirt!"


Grandpa


Grandma


And now Jett is ten months old! Last week Charlie turned 408 months old. I gave them both the best present I could give them - more time with each other. That's right. 8:01pm to 6:01am is Charlie and Jett time, because this month I am sleeping through the night.

Thankfully Jett is sleeping better now. Maybe drinking a bottle of formula in the middle of the night isn't a compelling enough reason to wake all the way up. Maybe Charlie slips him some whisky after I go to bed. All I know is that every night when I pull my covers up around me and snuggle down into my cozy blankets, I know I am staying in bed until morning. As much as I've loved my one-on-one time with Jett every 1:00, 3:00, and 5:00am, I do not miss my bare feet on the cold floor, walking bleary-eyed into the kitchen counter on my way to Jett's room, or that sinking feeling you have when you go to bed every night, knowing that in a couple of hours you're going to be awake again, and again, and again.

So, like I said, happy birthday, boys.

Ahem.

Jett is ten months old! He's accomplished a lot of stuff this month. In fact just today he did the following:

1. Figured out how to move the barricades (I mean footstools) away from the tv and stereo, which means we'll have to keep the armoire doors closed now, which means we'll be watching a lot less tv, which sounds good to me, but maybe not to Charlie.

2. Fed himself for the first time (except for that time he ate a little dirt at the park). He had his first finger food at dinner tonight. The first time he picked up that puffed little star, it fell off of his hand. Then he picked up another one and transfered it to his other hand. He closed his little fingers around it so his hand was in a fist. It took about a minute for him to figure out how to open his fist the perfect amount - just enough to put the puffed star in his mouth, and not enough to drop it. Who knew there was so much to learn? After that he ate like a pro.

3. Ate an entire banana (mashed up) for dessert.

But that's not all. In the last few days he has:

4. Learned how to wave bye-bye.

5. Cruised all the way down the couch.

6. Stood against the couch (or the footstool or the bench) with no hands.

7. Learned how to open the kitchen cupboards.

But wait, there's more! For the last few weeks Jett has been:

8. Taking baths in the big bathtub - no more kiddie pool. He slides around in there like a little fish. Despite the baby book telling us we'd scar our baby for life if this happened, he has swallowed bath water and lived to tell about it and sat in the tub while the water drained out and has not been afraid that he would get drained out with it.

9. Ducking his head to crawl under our bar stools, and his crib, and that chair from Ikea.

10. Drinking a bottle of formula, here and there.

11. Sleeping through the night every once in a while.

12. Being sweet.

This afternoon in particular was very sweet. He napped for only about half an hour, which wasn't nearly long enough to get through all of the bad tv that I was going to watch while he slept. But when I picked him up out of the crib, I think he must have been missing Grandma and Grandpa, because he told me that all he really wanted to do was snuggle on the couch and watch "my first place" on hgtv. And then he just wanted to keep on snuggling and watch the next show after that. And that's after a whole hour of laying on the couch with me this morning.

Now how did I get so lucky?



Happy Birthday, Jett. We love you.

No comments: