Thursday, June 14, 2007

Your First Birthday

Dear Jett,

Your birthday was long ago and I haven't even written about it yet. I guess it's just because there's so much I want to say, and it's daunting to get started.

You're just the sweetest thing.

Daddy and I started celebrating your birthday a few days before the actual anniversary of your birth. We took you on the bus downtown to play in the fountains. Until last weekend you had never been on a bus before, and you were totally chill on your first trip. At the fountains it took a few minutes for you to get used to the water. (It didn't help that we unknowingly set you down in the coldest part of the fountain - sorry about that, buddy). You stayed still on your hands and knees, with one hand in the air until you were ready to start crawling.



But then you were off! You crawled the entire length of the fountain at least two times. You were one of the youngest babies there, and you were having so much fun, which means that so were Daddy and I.



After we ate lunch (outside in the stroller) and walked around the park for a while we stopped and bought popsicles. I was really looking forward to giving you your first taste of dessert, but by the time we bought the popsicle and found a nice shady spot in the grass, you were fast asleep. So we waited awhile to let you sleep, then we got on the bus to come home. It all sounds like such a simple day and I suppose it doesn't sound extraordinary, but it was, it was! My baby is a year old! I wanted to tell everyone on the bus.



But our day wasn't over. A friend had a barbecue, and his barbecue is in his backyard, and his backyard is covered in grass, so you were all over it. You were just so happy all day - like every day - and it just does a mama good to see her baby so happy.

The next day you had your first restaurant meal. It wasn't planned - but Daddy and I forgot your food. So Daddy ordered extra meatballs in his meatball sub and I ordered a salad with all kinds of Jett-friendly food on the top of it, and you had the lunch of your life. Eating lunch with your baby at a sandwich shop doesn't sound extraordinary, but it was! It was! I just kept thinking, "I have a baby! At a restaurant! Eating real food! And he's one year old!" I wanted to tell every single person who walked by.

Daddy and I were up late the night before your birthday. We decorated your bedroom door and baked you a cake - a double layer cake with white whipped, dripping frosting covered in sprinkles. The next morning I peeked into your room to find you sitting in the middle of your crib, talking aloud to the decorations on your door. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to take them down now, since they entertain you so well.



Somehow it didn't occur to either of us to take your birthday off to work, so we trudged to the bus stop, counting the minutes until we would get home. It was your birthday! So I was happy all day. I kept interrupting conversations at inappropriate times just to inform everyone that my baby is one year old!

Your birthday party was short and sweet. Grammy and Grandpa Bob came over, along with Ellie and her fam and our friend Monica. Somehow I think you knew that all of the attention was on you, and you hammed it up, smiling, and laughing, and giggling all evening. You opened presents and wore your birthday hat and crawled around all over the place. You even kissed Ellie on the lips.

We sang Happy Birthday to you, but you didn't really know how to take it. You just kind of hung out in my arms watching everyone sing to you. Then we sat you in your highchair and presented you with a piece of cake, which you ever so gingerly tasted with one little finger-full of frosting at a time. Finally when you were sure it was tasty you grabbed a fistful and aimed it at your face.



Amazingly enough, despite all of the fun and distractions, you fell asleep on cue and went to bed on time. Little do you know that the parties are just beginning. We still get to celebrate with my side of the family next week. I think I could celebrate your birthday every day for the rest of my life - actually, I already do.



_____________________________________

I didn't really want this post to be just a reporting of your birthday activities. I wanted to capture your one-year-old essence. The drool that drips shiny off your chin after you've kissed me, mouth open four or five times in a row. The feel of your warm, damp head after a few minutes of tickling and wrestling on your bedroom floor. The sound of your squeals during our ritual of chasing you and catching you and kissing you before bedtime. The clever little look on your face every time you drop your cup from your highchair. The way you start to close your eyes every time I get to the second verse of the lullabye. The way you let your head fall back and sleepily open your eyes half way to look up at me as I lay you in your crib.

Happy Birthday, sweet baby. We love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amy & charlie, karen estes from Americus days here. i have been reading this blog for quite a while (kathy saad showed me to it), and i must say that jett is not only incredibly brilliant and adorable, but he is the luckiest baby in the world to have you as parents. i'm in awe of your writings and observations about your little-boy-gift-to-this-world. it's wonderful. jett, happy first birthday, buddy. you are too cool.

i'm at kle@tnaqua.org if you have a chance to drop an email and catch up more. cheers, karen e