Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Vacation is Over...

...and now that I have some time on my hands I can catch up on the posts. First up? Christmas.



Ah, the Christmas Eve church service. The music, the candles, the squirmy kids. The child who keeps leaving the sanctuary every five minutes to visit the AA meeting going on in the basement. The people in their pews, chuckling at your child, ready to wave in unison the next time he walks to the double doors of the church and turns around to say "bye-bye" to everyone sitting in the last four pews. Thanks for out-staging the minister, Jett!

Jett has a routine he likes to follow every morning, at least the mornings that I get him out of bed. Once we leave his room (after book reading and diaper changing) we head straight to the kitchen. I carry him and let him open the two cabinet doors he is most interested in: the cabinet that holds the cereal and the cabinet that holds almost all of the other food, like crackers. He points to or pulls out what he wants, we set it all on the counter, and then, after he is convinced that I will really and truly feed him all of the food he has chosen, yes, even a graham cracker, will he willingly let me set him down in his highchair and get down to the business of eating breakfast. So Christmas morning with my family was a little bit different. First of all, the cabinets were different. And there was no cabinet just for crackers. Then we let him eat on the floor so he could be part of the cousin-Christmas-chaos. You can see from his face that he was out of his element.



But he warmed up after a while.



This CD player, from Santa, is one of his favorite gifts, followed by the slightly quieter and slightly classier pull-toy.





It was a good day. I hope you all had a good Christmas and are having a happy new year too. More stories and pictures of our two-week holiday coming soon.

No comments: